Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fish, Chips, Putts and Drives


Getting up at 7am in any time zone is a big ask, particularly on holiday but with golf on the menu I managed to tear myself from the duvet.  Originally it was going to be father playing both sons but Marcus had to rain check with tonsillitis.  He would be missed but when it comes to illness he and I are genetically contagious.  He only has to be within twenty feet and I am instantly afflicted with any ailment he possesses. 

So familiar with my routes I flew over to Delapre to find Reece already putting his socks off on the practice green.  He had booked and paid for the round and insisted on doing so.  I had Marcus’s clubs, hired a trolley and we headed out to the first tee.

The first tee is always approached with trepidation.  I dread the laughter from on-looking golfers as I scuff or top my drive; silly really because it’s all psychological.  We did get off without total embarrassment even if my drive was nothing to write home about.
 

It took me about five holes to get into the swing of things and my round could best be described as patchy but punctuated with moments of Ryder Cup worthy brilliance.  I have selective memory and with a glass half full mentality just ignore the dreadful shots so I do not propose giving that part of my game any column inches here.  Each part of my game had its moments.  The occasional decent drive, good long game woods from the fairway; some fine short game shots and cracking long puts.

I take my hat off to Reece, he looked after the old man throughout the round, applauded my rare moments with a smile of shared triumph.  He was enjoying my successes as much as I was.  The fact that he had more success overall and beat me by six holes after 18 only made the day more complete.


So exciting to reconnect with my son and share some huge laughs on the way round.  He is an absolute delight to be with and grown exponentially since we were last together in October 2010.  We had this one to one time and laid a foundation for our relationship going forward.  Getting a daily dose of family warmth is good for my spirit.
 

Not until after the game did Reece reveal that he had just come off a night shift so that makes his game all the more incredible.  He headed for bed and I headed back to Long Buckby and her ladyship for an afternoon relaxing in front of the television.  The quality of TV here a country mile ahead of Canada and yet spending time in front of the box has not been an activity of choice.  This, perhaps because the selection in Canada is so poor generally.
 
I headed out to Long Buckby and the Fish Bar for fish and chips only to find it closed, sadly.  Fish and Chip time will have to wait for another day.
 

So another beautiful day drew to a close and I was left with images of Delapre Golf course, Delapre Abbey and the Equestrian Arena.  Happy memories of the annual CAMRA Beer Festivals in the Abbey Grounds.  Happy memories of walking Chas round Delapre Lake when we lived in Lauderdale Avenue.

Delapre Abbey and other historical buildings around Northampton remind me of the depth of history that is the United Kingdom.  Kim and I are soaking up old buildings for the duration of our stay.  The Farm and Farm House here are older than Canada and these fields include Saxon Barrows.

So goodnight all and see you tomorrow.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment